9:30 am Family Services during the month of July
July - Follow this link for Obon practice, service and dance information
Read Rev Fujii's Formula in Buddhism articles.
The formula below consists of essential items for learning the Teaching of Buddha:
1. To Learn Buddhism is to learn myself,
2. to learn myself is to learn Buddha's Compassion.
3. to learn Compassion is to forget myself,
4. and to forget myself is to throw me into Buddha's World.
The 18th Vow
"If, when I attain Buddhahood, the sentient beings of the 10 quarters who, with sincere and entrusting heart, aspire to be born in my land and say my name even 10 times, should not be born there, may I not attain the perfect enlightenment. Excluded are those who commit the five grave offenses and those who slander the right Dharma."
1. Sentient beings of the 10 quarters: Sentient beings = you and me
2. Sincere heart: The heart generated by Wisdom of Buddha.
3. Entrusting heart: the heart generated by Compassion of Buddha.
4. Aspire to be born in my land: The future direction of my life.
5. Even 10 times: As long as my life lasts, even if very short, recitation is essential.
6. Five grave offenses: Those who commit offenses such as (1) murder father, (2) murder mother, (3) murder Bodhisattvas, (4) murder Buddha, (5) destroy harmony in sangha.
7. Slander the right Dharma: False spoken statements related to Mahayana Teaching.
This Vow is called "King of Vows"; it clarifies the true meaning of Amida's Name and its recitation. Recitation of the Name is a practice available to everyone.
The recitation is easy, quick, and simple for everyone even if a person is not a Buddhist. The essence of Mahayana Buddhism is to provide the vessel that carries any & everybody equally from a world filled with suffering to a world of highest enlightenment. It is simply because the Name (Namo-Amida-Butsu) is made of pure cause of Wisdom and pure condition of Compassion. That's why its pure result is called "Pure-Land.
"To forget myself is to throw me into Buddha's World" means I don't form attachments to what I have. Then, I throw myself into Buddha's World. In other words, when I decide to recite the Name, that is the moment I throw myself into the Buddha's World. It is also the moment I recognize I become a person not to die but one who goes into the highest Enlightenment.
Rev. Doei Fujii
Return to the Formula in Buddhism series.
Tri-State Denver Buddhist Temple
Reverend E. D. Fujii, Head Minister
Reverend Diana Thompson, Kiyoshi Minister
Donna Inouye, Temple Administrator
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
This Month's Buddhist Holiday or Event
As a Jodo Shinshu Temple, we are associated with the Buddhist Churches of America (BCA) based in San Francisco, California. The first BCA missionary arrived in California in 1898 under the sponsorship of Nishi Hongwanji, our mother temple in Kyoto, Japan.
©Copyright 2004-2014 by TSDBT All rights reserved.